Updated: Jun 29
Deepen Your Spiritual Connection with God and Unlock the Power of Scripture through Effective Memorization and Meditation Techniques with a 30-Day Bible Plan. Discover songs and apps to help enrich your journey. Enjoy your FREE downloadable 30-day Bible Plan.
I am often led to read large quantities of scripture to get a big picture overview of the content. In June, however, I want us to dive deeper and memorize two simple yet powerful chapters in Psalms: chapter 90 and 91. We will be memorizing and meditating on verses from these chapters, often just one verse a day.
I have found the strategies below to be effective in helping me memorize and meditate on scripture. Psalm 90 and Psalm 91 are two chapters rich in wisdom, encouragement, and spiritual insights, and by immersing ourselves in them, we can deepen our connection with God and find comfort in His promises. In this blog, I provide you with ten practical techniques to help you memorize and meditate on these Psalms, along with a comprehensive 30-day Bible plan to guide your journey. Join me as we dive in!
Psalm 90 is a chapter I have been re-reading often this past month. Psalm 90 is titled “The Prayer of Moses in the Wilderness.” It is the only known psalm of Moses in the Psalm. This psalm is a reflection on the eternal nature of God, the frailty of human life, the need for divine wisdom and mercy, and the desire for God's presence and favor. It serves as a contemplation on the brevity of human existence and a reminder of the importance of living in alignment with God's will.
My favorite verse is verse Psalm 90:14:
“Satisfy us each morning with your unfailing love, so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives.”
Psalm 91 is referred to as “Psalm of Protection” or a “Psalm of Refuge.” I read this chapter over my boys often. Most often, I read before my oldest goes off on a military operation.
The psalm serves as a source of hope and assurance in times of danger, fear, and uncertainty, reminding us of God's unfailing care and provision for His people.
It is hard for me to choose a favorite verse from this chapter, today my favorite verse is Psalm 91:15: “When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them.”
10 ways to memorize and meditate on Psalm 90 and 91. Step-by-step guide as you daily meditate and memorize Psalm 90 and 91:
By implementing these ten strategies and following the attached 30-day Bible plan, I pray you will develop a deep understanding and appreciation for these two powerful chapters:
1. Find a Quiet Space: Begin by finding a quiet place to tune out the world and minimize distractions. If possible, turn your phone off to be able to focus.
2. Read the daily verse in the Psalm aloud: Read it slowly and attentively, allowing the words to sink in. Pay close attention to the language, imagery, and emotions conveyed in the psalm.
3. Reflect on the Meaning: Take a moment to ponder the meaning and significance of each verse. Consider reading the verse in at least one other Bible version.
4. Personalize the Psalm: Relate the words of the psalm to your own life experiences and struggles.
5. Listen to the Psalm: Consider having a Bible app or Podcast read you the scripture. My family's favorite app is the YouVersion Bible app. Find the app here: https://www.youversion.com/the-bible-app/. My favorite podcast to listen to the Psalms is: “In the Lord I take Refuge: Daily Devotions Through Psalms with Dane Ortlund.” Dane’s voice is quiet and soulful. He adds his reflection at the end of every psalm. Find his podcast here: https://bit.ly/3MxxSlc
6. Write the Psalm: Write the Psalm on a notecard and place in a prominent place in your home for the day. Read the Psalm as you pass by to help with memorization.
7. Journaling: Write down your thoughts, reflections, and any insights as you meditate on the psalm. Journaling can help you deepen your understanding of the psalm's message.
8. Contemplative Silence: Spend some time in silent contemplation. Allow the truths and lessons from the psalm to settle within you.
9. Prayer: Conclude your quiet time by praying. Expressing gratitude for the wisdom. Surrender any burdens or worries to Him, trusting in His eternal nature and faithfulness.
10. Listen to worship: Listen to these songs throughout the month to help with memorization. Psalm 90 (Satisfy us with your Love) by Shane & Shane https://bit.ly/3BVcAci.
Psalm 91 (On Eagle’s Wings) by Shane & Shane https://bit.ly/3OLzkmu.
A prayer for you:
Dear Jesus, I pray you watch over this dear reader today. May they grow closer to you as they spend time meditating on these powerful verses from Psalms. May joy and peace fill their lives through this journey. Please protect them and give them peace as they learn to lean more on your promises today. In Jesus name, Amen.
Start your memorization and meditation journey of Psalm 90 and 91 today! Please share your insights and the impact this process has had on your relationship with God and understanding of these two chapters. I pray the 10 Ways to Memorize and Meditate on Psalm 90 and 91 bless you greatly and draw you closer to God today.